Can Eliquis cause itchy rashes on the body?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2018 in Skin Rash
Question: Can Eliquis cause itching and a rash (lower back)?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is a rare but possible side effect.

Detailed Answer:

Hi, thanks for your query.

It can cause rash to occur in some persons , but it is rare, it occurs in less than 10% of persons.

Eliquis can also cause a hypersensitivity reaction (meaning the drug reacts with the immune system), this can cause an itchy rash to occur. This reaction occurs in less than 1% of persons who use it

The rash would be expected to cover a relatively wide area

Though both of these are rare, it is a possible reaction and it may be the case for you.

it would be best to speak to your doctor, other possible causes would need to be ruled out first unless the reaction is severe

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Thank you. I should have added that five weeks ago upon discharge from the hospital with Eliquis and Spirilactone added to my regular meds, I began itching and drowsiness both of which bothered me while I was awake. They wanted to try and treat the rash first, though the itching occurs in other places. After 7 days of treatment it is a 2” square instead of 4”, mid back, right above my waist. Because Claritin makes me drowsy as well, they have waited until that 7 day cycle is over. Now they are going to stop the Eliquis for a week to see if it helps either the drowsiness or rash. If not, they will stop the spirolactone for a week to see if that helps. That’s where I am now. Any further thoughts with this added info? I live in Reno, visiting San XXXXXXX Have an appointment set a week from today with Dermatology in Reno. Thanks! XXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
A rash can also rarely occur with spironolactone.

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for the delayed reply.

the fact that the symptoms started just after the onset of both of these meds does imply that at least one of them is the cause.

Spironolactone can a rash and itching in approximately 0.1 to 1% of persons, so this is also a rare but possible side effect.

There are no known interactions between the meds so the rash and itching are not due to an interaction between the two meds.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician