Can Cytomid be taken for a long duration?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Greetings doctor
My mother has been taking cytomid 250mg for acne, once a dAY in the night from the past six months. Since her consulting doctor is not in town, she would like to know if she has to continue with the dosage or terminate it.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding flutamide for acne

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to ua.

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.
Flutamide can have serious side effects like liver toxicity therefore therapy should only be continued along with regular monitoring of liver functions and only if her acne still warrants treatment with flutamide to be continued. Moreover it should be promptly discontinued if she develops symptoms like nausea, vomiting, fatigue or jaundice.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Thank you for the answer doctor. I would like to say that my mother has not been incurring acne, and has never encountered symptoms like nausea, fatigue etc. However, I would like to know if she should stop the medication immediately or whether it has to be prolonged some more time before stoppage.
Also, whether the acne may re-appear after the stoppage? Is there any particular diet that has to be followed as well?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding acne

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

If she does'nt have acne now then she can discontunue flutamide because it is anyways not for prophylactic use. There is a possibility that acne may recur but that can be controlled with other safer topical and/or oral medications. As far as diet is concerned i would suggest her to avoid high calorie foods like chocolates, sweets, coke, milk and milk products etc. Her diet should be healthy and must also include servings of fruits,green leafy vegetables, salads etc

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Thank you so much for such a satisfactory answer
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng