• question-icon

Can Betnesol cause decreased fetal movements?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello
I am 29 weeks pregnant. I had a missed miscarriage last year in April 2016. Then I conceived in December 2016.Few days back when I was 26 weeks pregnant( May 23, 2017) I had pressure and pain in perineal area and I was admitted in hospital and was given IV fluids and progestrone. After two days when I was discharge the US showed cervix length =5.8 cm and the PI was 1.84 in right uterine art and 1.18 in umbilical art.( In my first trimester my PI was high and from then I was on heparin 40mg daily and ecospirin 75 mg daily). I had prediastolic notch too in first trimester.Two days back when I went to see doc I was prescribed Betensol injection 12 mg with duration of 24 hours apart. I too first dosage on 15th XXXXXXX and since then I feel low baby movements. Also I have read various side effects on the internet. Shall I take second dose. Why have I been prescribed this when my cervical length is normal? Please guide me on this.

ALso my 25-OH Vit D3 was 28.41 ng/mL which is insufficient for which I take CCM tablets twice.
Vitamin B 12 is 147 pg/ml which too is low and I am given Neurobion tablets twice a day for 15 days.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Betnesol do not cause decreased fetal movements

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Betnesol do not leads to decreased fetal movements.
Decreased fetal movements can occur due to decreased blood supply to the fetus leading to fetal hypoxia or decreased blood supply to the fetus.
I will suggest you to get an urgent ultrasound to check for the fetal biophysical profile and a non stress test.
If deranged, then you may require to take decision regarding the delivery.
Betnesol is given for fetal lung maturity if the delivery is expected before 34 weeks of gestation.
Since you have deranged Doppler , delivery may be needed before 34 weeks.
This is the reason for prescribing you betnesol.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine