Can Antivan be given for dementia related psychosis?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question:

should an elderly patient with dementia-related psychosis be given antivan through their iv for 3 to 4 weeks while in hospital
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ativan can be given

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

In vascular dementia, you can give ativan in IV dose to sedate the patient. Usually in dementia induced psychosis, patients become aggressive and need low dose sedation or antipsychotics. There is no harm in giving these drugs at lose dose. You can give ativan 2 to 4 mg a day or antipsychotic like risperdone 2mg a day or olanzapine 5 mg a day. It would help to control patient's symptoms and to give better management.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 2 days later
should this same elderly 72 year-old patient with dementia-related psychosis and trouble breathing be given haldal or ativan to sedate them?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Give ativan for sedation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If you want to sedate patient, then i would prefer Ativan. It is a benzodiazepine and benzodiazpine does not lead to respiratory depression. You can give 2 to 4 mg IV sos dose to sedate him. With that, you can give 0.5 mg of haloperidol twice a day to control underline psychotic symptoms and to control irritability.

If you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist