Broken bone in foot and have extensive bruising due to blood thinners. Should I be concerned about bone density?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband has broken a bone in his foot. This is the second time in a year that he has broken a bone in his foot, causing extensive bruising due to blood thinners, and not remembered the event without trying to recall the entire day in question. Should we be concerned about bone density or any other underlying issue? Or is this part of the necropathy that comes with diabetes? Off to get x-rays tonight.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Brief Answer: It seems to be due to osteoporosis. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have gone through the report attached. As per history easily broken bone in his foot seems to be due to osteoporosis(weak and fragile bone) as a result of decrease bone density. After xrays, consult an orthopaedician for management of fracture. Go for bone mineral density testing(DEXA scan) which measures bone mineral density. It will predict risk of future bone fractures. Taking calcium and vit D supplements will be helpful. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care