Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Broke hip. No growth of bone. Taking pain medications. On Oxycodone. Suggest?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I am looking for a doctor who treats HO. my husband fell about 11/2 years ago and broke his left hip and two weeks later HO set in. The doctor tells us the bone has stopped growing but he is in so much pain, he can hardly get out of his recliner. He takes pain meds until they stop helping and then the doc. ups the dose. right now he is on oxycodone 15 mg./4 times a day. All our doctors tell us is to take his meds and bear it, it won't get any better and may very well get worse. My husband is 72 and our "Golden Years" are not quite what we had hoped for.

Thank you for any information you can give.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of HO is Multimodal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Treatment of heterotopic ossification (HO) is difficult, as little is understood about what triggers this condition to occur.

The management options of HO are as follows -

* PHYSICAL THERAPY -Therapy is an important part of treatment. Range of motion exercises will help to maintain mobility. It can also keep the disease from getting worse. Therapy may also include some stretching and strength training.

* MEDICATIONS - Medicines which are helpful in preventing further progression of HO include
- Bisphosphonate drug (eg:etidronate)-to block calcium from depositing in new bony growths
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)-to help prevent more bone growth in soft tissue (Naproxen, Diclofenac or Indomethacin are useful)

* RADIATION THERAPY - Radiation is used to prevent abnormal bone growth

* SURGERY - Surgery may be helpful to remove the abnormal bone and increase range of motion. Radiation and medications are often given after surgery, to prevent the chances of recurrence.

So, I suggest you to approach an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Broke hip. No growth of bone. Taking pain medications. On Oxycodone. Suggest? 13 hours later
I appreciate your reply but I already know all of this information. The ossification has grown not only into the replaced bone and hip ball, it has grown into the tissue around the inside of the leg. The doctor has told us that if he replaced the whole hip in order to get this (he describes it as thin plates of ice between the muscles) HO out, XXXXXXX could not even stand with a walker because there would be nothing to stand on. We have come to terms that there is probable nothing to be done by a surgeon but my question was if there is a specialist for HO that can help him with the pain he is in. The pain is so bad it is and has ruined his life. Will any of the medications you have suggested above help pain? is there any need for radiation therapy at this late date? We have a "Pain" specialist that gives him his meds and an orthopedic surgeon (supposedly the best in San XXXXXXX ..he handles all the sports teams here). It is just that nobody is doing any good and I keep searching for help. I do thank you for your help but I believe that we are beyond your information. Are there any participating tests that he might consider being involved in? I understand that this is a very unknown problem and my heart and prays goes out the our military... that are coming home with HO. Thank you again for your help and if there is any other
HO specialist in the San XXXXXXX area, We would be open to a second opinion.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The only effective treatment is Surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

As on date, the only effective way of treating a symptomatic HO is by surgical resection, which is usually delayed for atleast one year after its formation so as to allow the maturation of the bone which facilitates resection and minimizes trauma to the surrounding soft tissues (which may again initiate the formation of HO).

The rest of all modes of treatment are only supportive.

Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Broke hip. No growth of bone. Taking pain medications. On Oxycodone. Suggest? 26 hours later

I know all the information you have given me...The REAL question I have is...are there any HO specialist in the San Antonin area that we might get a second opinion from? It has been over a year and we would just like to talk to a different doctor. The only doctor we have seen about this is a Dr. Fox.
Thank you XXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sorry, I am not aware of any doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am sorry to say this but I am not aware of a surgeon who is specialized in dealing with HO cases.

This is just to let you know that the treatment protocol remains the same, irrespective of the doctor and area you prefer.

Have a great day
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor