Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Blood clot in the ureter after hysterectomy, surgical removal

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
i recently had a hysterectomy and now have a hocky puck sized blood clot on my ureter. what should i do to fix this problem i am 31 yrs. old and 5'4'' 290 lbs.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for such a sized blood clot in the ureter but such a sized blood clot cannot resolve by medicines alone. It needs immediate intervention by a urologist. Relief can be obtained with streptokinase instillation via the ureteral catheter which should be done by an expert urologist or the clot can be mobilized with gentle insertion of ureteral catheter.

If all of these prove unsuccessful then it may need endoscopic removal or by surgery. My suggestion would be to consult a urologist at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor