Black discoloration on forehead with frequent empty eructations. Family history of diabetes. Concerned

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: one male patient aged about 57 years is having the complaint of blackish discolor of his forehead; frequent empty eructations; mother having the history of gallbladder stones; brother
diabetes mellitus ; he is a hardware business man.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

The symptoms of eructations, distention of abdomen, and belching indicate problem related to digestion- gastritis. Gastritis is the inflammation of the gastric lining. This causes abdominal distention, reflux of gastric contents. This reflux causes sour eructations, belching and upper abdomen discomfort. You can guide him with few measures for at least 3 months to start showing results.

Certain measures need to be taken to stop these symptoms.
1. Avoid fatty and spicy food.
2. Do not skip breakfast, take heavy breakfast and light dinner.
3. Take plenty of fluids-water, soups, etc.
4. Include lot of fruits, vegetables in diet.
5. Take stroll after dinner and keep a gap of atleast two hours between dinner and sleep.
6. Take regular exercise daily.
7. Keep your head elevated while sleeping.
8. You can take antacids if the symptoms are very troublesome.

You can get an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy later if required after consulting a gastroenterologist.
A family history of gall stones predisposes to similar problem. Infact cholesterol gall stones are more common in fatty, middle aged people, and people having digestive problems similar to yours.
A family history of diabetes mellitus(DM) is also a risk factor for developing DM. Obesity is again a risk factor for developing DM.
So, you need to be aware and cautious and get blood glucose levels at regular intervals.
The blackish discoloration needs a close observation if it is a sign of acanthosis nigricans. However it should be better dealt by a specialist Dermatologist.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal