Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Are tightness and lump under rib cage signs of enlarged spleen?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3026 Questions
Hi, I am having what feels like a lump when I bend below my left breast under my ribcage. Also accompanied with a dull pain and a tightness and heaviness feeling in that same area. Could this be an enlarged spleen?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound Abdomen to clear the picture Detailed Answer: Dear Friend, A lump in the area you are describing (Left Hypochondrium) , this area has spleen, so if you are feeling a lump there, it might be a spleenic lump. The spleen usually grows towards the Right lower abdomen. It's very difficult to say its spleen or not without an examination. Do you have any fever , anemia , weight loss, night sweats or do you feel any lymph nodes? I suggest you for a physical examination followed by Ultrasound Abdomen , General Blood Picture. Ultrasound Abdomen will clear most of the picture , that is spleen enlargement of malaria , leukemia , lymphoma , spleenic abscess, cyst. It's also possible that there is nothing and you are just feeling your fat , or a lipoma there. But , yes, it's always better to be sure. Remaining investigations and the treatment would depend on Ultrasound report. Wish you Good luck. I hope i am able to solve your query , if you have any other query , you may ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor