Are red itchy rashes on the abdomen and armpits adverse effects of Acyclovir usage?

Dermatologist
Question
Yes, please. I was on Acyclovir for a week and completed it a week ago. I had a Herpes Whitlowon my thumb. I now have a raised red itchy generalized rash on my abdomen, armpits. Could this be a delayed reaction to Acyclovir?
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be delayed reaction to aciclovir, upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
Yes it could be an allergic reaction to aciclovir.
I would recommend you to upload pictures of the rash so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.

Follow-up: Are red itchy rashes on the abdomen and armpits adverse effects of Acyclovir usage? 2 hours later
Hi, sent 1-2 photos underarm on left is the worst. Hi of radiation to it this past summer for breast ca stage 1. I had a 2nd degree burn that healed after a month.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream and antihistaminic, looks like allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it seems to be an allergic reaction.
It could be due to aciclovir or any other drug you are taking.
I would recommend you to apply topical steroid like cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching for few days.
If it settles in a week's time then it is most likely due to aciclovir.
Otherwise we need to evaluate to rule out other causes.

Follow-up: Are red itchy rashes on the abdomen and armpits adverse effects of Acyclovir usage? 30 minutes later
Thank you! I’ll f/u with you if you’d like.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
All the best!!
Do follow up.