Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Are nausea, dizziness and dry mouth side effects of Norfloxacin pill?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
On October 31 I had a hip joint replacement operation. Because of consequent problems with my bladder, I thought I might have a UTI. Therefore last Tuesday I went to the doctor who gave me a prescription for Norfloxacin 400 mg. I was quite nauseated the first day and after that OK. But last night I became extremely nauseated and dizzy and was drinking glass after glass of water, my mouth feeling dry a few minutes after each glass. (a classic sign of poisoning I think). I did not take the Norfloxacin pill. I feel OK today. On Thursday of last week I learned that the urine test was NEGATIVE for UTIs. Here is my question: Was it XXXXXXX for me to stop the pills when I had only one day left? If so, should I try to start up again?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not XXXXXXX to stop. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. The side-effects you experienced of nausea and dizziness are some of the commonest side-effects associated with Norfloxacin occurring in up to 1 in 10 people. The dry mouth you experienced and needing to drink water is not a sign of poisoning so you do not need to worry about this. It is OK that you stopped the Norfloxacin one day early due to the side-effects. In view of the negative urine test you do not need to re-start it. If you continue to drink large volumes of water and still feel you have a problem with your bladder, I suggest you see your doctor to discuss the possibility of diabetes as sometimes the first sign is thirst. However, if you now feel back to normal then I think you can put this behind you and continue your recovery from your hip replacement. I wish you good health. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor