Are nausea, dizziness and dry mouth side effects of Norfloxacin pill?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Infections
Question: On October 31 I had a hip joint replacement operation. Because of consequent problems with my bladder, I thought I might have a UTI. Therefore last Tuesday I went to the doctor who gave me a prescription for Norfloxacin 400 mg. I was quite nauseated the first day and after that OK. But last night I became extremely nauseated and dizzy and was drinking glass after glass of water, my mouth feeling dry a few minutes after each glass. (a classic sign of poisoning I think). I did not take the Norfloxacin pill. I feel OK today. On Thursday of last week I learned that the urine test was NEGATIVE for UTIs. Here is my question: Was it XXXXXXX for me to stop the pills when I had only one day left? If so, should I try to start up again?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not XXXXXXX to stop. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. The side-effects you experienced of nausea and dizziness are some of the commonest side-effects associated with Norfloxacin occurring in up to 1 in 10 people. The dry mouth you experienced and needing to drink water is not a sign of poisoning so you do not need to worry about this. It is OK that you stopped the Norfloxacin one day early due to the side-effects. In view of the negative urine test you do not need to re-start it. If you continue to drink large volumes of water and still feel you have a problem with your bladder, I suggest you see your doctor to discuss the possibility of diabetes as sometimes the first sign is thirst. However, if you now feel back to normal then I think you can put this behind you and continue your recovery from your hip replacement. I wish you good health. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA