Are low sodium levels due to bronchitis?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello, my father is 91 with bronchitis and a blood test shows a sodium level of 131 two days ago compared to a last year at 141. His creatinine is 2.03. He is tired and resting now. One doctor was very insistent he do the test again to sit in the emergency room for hours with bronchitis. How do you look at such issues? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:

He should be in ER

Detailed Answer:

As you explain the history he has a relatively low level of sodium. I agree with the doctor. The emergency of hyponatremia (low sodium level) is not due to bronchitis itself.

So he should be in the ER department and to be further monitored and to get correct the sodium levels immediately.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee