Are hand tremors, cramps in hips and weakness signs of Huntington's disease?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi. I'm extremely worried and on the verge of a panic attack because of what symptoms I am exhibiting. My medical history in a nutshell: I have severe bipolar and OCD for which I am being treated. I also have muscle stiffness and weakness in my back and am currently receiving physical therapy that was prescribed by an orthopedic physician. My hamstrings and hips have been pretty tight because I haven't had time for yoga (finishing online classes). For the past few days, my balance has been off and I've been tripping over things. I used to obsess over having ALS which resulted in an overdose. I had my family physician check my reflexes a few years ago and it checked out, but that was a few years ago. My hands shake and I get tremors, I drive and sometimes my right ankle shakes and feels week and feels like I need to crack it. My hips have been cracking and when I roll out my back, it cracks like crazy. I'm worried that this in combination with my psychological symptoms is indicative of Huntington's disease or a neuro-degenerative disorder. I have been trying to drink my coffee today and my right side feels significantly weaker (this is the side where I have a slight winged scapula and my physical therapist says is a little weaker). When they do the lazar therapy at the end of my PT sessions, it really hurts, like I'm having nerve pain. My right hip just feels so stiff and all of this weakness feels like something bad. I'm also unable to get tasks done and just want to stay in bed. The fear is so paralyzing. I gave a presentation the other day and while it went well, I could not remember the word "coroner", which I think is pretty simple. Little things like that happen sometimes. I should also mention that I have been taking ativan lately, but in .5 doses, which is not a lot. My hand should not shake when I pick up a cup and I should not be tripping over my right leg. I'm hysterical right now and so scared. Please help explain.

**I should mention I feel tightness in my throat. Not so much difficulty swallowing just tightness.

My joints have cracked (especially my hips) I don't know how many times today. I'm really worried my muscles are degenerating.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I can say from your description that you definitely do NOT have a neurodegenerative disorder. You symptoms instead are classic for anxiety-driven hypochondria. You are obsessively concerned about being seriously ill, but I can reassure you, you are not. All your symptoms are unconcerning small complaints with no evidence of a neurodegenerative syndrome. Don't worry!

Let me know if there's any further query.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee