Are extraction of teeth advisable in an elderly person?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: This is about my father, who is 78 years old. His teeth are in bad shape and a preliminary check-up by a local dentist recommended extraction of 8 teeth of different types and fitting in of partial dentures. However, before proceeding, he wants to check some other alternatives:
1. Can a new teeth be implanted instead of dentures?
2. Would filling up the void is an option
3. Would the extraction of teeth result in impact on nerves or depression in cheeks
4. What discomfort may be caused after extraction while eating

Can you please help answer these questions?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Preferred option should be Partial denture.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain keeping in consideration the age and medical history of your father I would like to give you the following advise:

1.A partial denture is rather a simple procedure and in older patients it can done with ease and without much discomfort so I prefer Partial denture in my patients and I would advise the same to you too.

I would also like to brief you about implants:
An implant can be placed even in elderly patients who are indicted to get the teeth extracted but the treatment can only be decided after a thorough evaluation of the condition of the jaw bone and proximity of the nerve which is present in close association with the lower molar teeth.

So if you want to get an implant done you should consult an Implantologist and get your father evaluated and a full mouth x ray known as Orthopantomogram [OPG] will be advised so that the exact status of the jaw bone and nerve can be evaluated.
Regular monitoring of the blood pressure is also a must needed protocol..

2.Filling up the voids or Edentulous areas is must for ease in chewing and maintaining proper appearance of face.

3.No, a properly done extraction procedure will not cause any impact on nerves and proper precautions taken before and during procedure does not cause any discomfort.
Yes, depressing or inward sagging of cheeks happens in individuals who get a large number of teeth extracted, but if you get them replaced by artificial teeth this problem will not happen.

4.After extraction, if the back teeth that is molars are removed the chewing will be difficult as there will not be any teeth to grind the food, but this problem can also be resolved by artificial teeth..

If you have any further query you are most welcome. I will be happy to help..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina