Are elevated potassium levels signs of kidney failure?
My name is XXXX. I have been on Lasix for many years, and my potassium has run low for the last twenty. I have been taking prescribed potassium for about that long - most recently five 20 meq daily. Two weeks ago I had lab work done which showed my potassium level to be well above normal and was taken off all of it immediately. In a week's time it has dropped to 2.6. I will be having it checked again in a few days. Why would this happen? Is the only cause kidney failure?
not likely, the levels would be still high
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Kidney failure can cause an increase in potassium levels but if this was the case, the levels should still be at least slightly elevated even after the potassium supplements are discontinued.
In kidney failure, the value would not normally be at 2.6 unless the kidney impairment is very very mild and not really affecting kidney function.
The high levels are likely iatrogenic, this means medical cause. It is possible that you may have been receiving more supplements that you needed even though you may have been tested regularly.
The fact the level went to below normal likely means that though you need supplements , you do not need as much as you were taking.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
normal US range- lower limit 3.5,so value is low not high
Normal levels of potassium can differ slightly from one lab to the next but for most labs the normal range of potassium is 3.5 to 5.1, some labs 3.6 to 5.2.It is possible to have some variation on these values, depend on lab technique and machinery as well as values for population
3.2 is below the normal range according to these ranges. This is not high, it is low according to these ranges.
These ranges are from mayo and emedicine.health in the US ,here we use 3.1 to 4.1.
You may want find out the range at your labs , it should be printed at the side of your result if you have access to it
Please feel free to ask any other questions
I was not given a copy of the results. He probably said it had risen to 4.2 and had dropped to 3.6 (which he described as still "high normal"). Said he wanted it down lower. Your help has greatly eased my mind.
God bless you and all your peers at healtcaremagic.com
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Kidney infection and kidney failure
- Early signs of kidney failure
- Levels of kidney failure
- Kidney failure signs and symptoms
- Dangerous creatinine level kidney failure
- Kidney failure high creatinine levels
- Common signs of kidney failure
- Chronic kidney failure signs
- Kidney failure blood poisoning
- Bloated abdomen sign of kidney failure
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...