Are dehydration and lightheadedness side effects of Lasix overdose?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 2 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I take lasix for water retention. I think I took an extra one by mistake. I usually take 40mg. This was all this morning. Later today my mouth has felt like a cotton ball. When I would stand up I would get light headed. I also felt very nauseous, and would break out in a sweat. I drank a bottle of water and started to feel a little better. No more light headed. But now several hours later I am beginning to feel like tha again. I now am drinking another bottle of water. Do you think this is dehydration?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dehydration and reduced blood pressure

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

From what you are reporting, what you are experiencing is due to dehydration and reduced blood pressure caused by taking double dose of Lasix.

I advise to take more water. Measure your BP. If still low, should take a salty drink I usually recommend to my patients:
mix Greek yogurt with water and little salt. Or you can have a coffee.

You'll be better soon.

Hope it helped
Dr.Albana