Are cold and cough indicative of a viral infection?
Can be associated with viral infections
Hoarseness or loss of a person's voice can occur as a result of a cough/cold due to the viral infection affecting the vocal cords though there is no visible change.
In most cases, the voice returns within a week once it is rested as much as possible, it is best to talk softly, not whisper. Whispering increases stress on the voice.
Gargle with salt water even if there is no pain and make sure to use enough fluids
A humidifier would also be helpful as well.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The nerve which supplies the larynx is the recurrent laryngeal nerve.
It is not that easy to damage, damage most commonly occurs as a complication of surgery or due to something pressing on the nerve (which would have other symptoms as well)
The presence of fever is not necessary to lose the voice
There is also psychogenic aphonia (loss of voice due to psychological reasons), but this is not common
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Common cold and viral conjunctivitis
- Pain in legs colds viral infection medication nutrition
- Viral infection with cold hands
- Cough and cold
- Infant with viral fever cold and cough constipated advice
- Bacterial cold vs viral cold
- Baby recurring viral cold
- Constant cold sneezing fatigue viral infection
- Viral labyrinthitis cold hands
- Cold hands following viral infection
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?