Are chronic itchy rashes on the back, neck and arms despite taking medication indicative of internal yeast infection?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a persistent skin rash for about six months. At first I thought is was a heat rash, but it has persisted in spite of external treatments. It has covered my back, neck and arms. I am keeping it at bay with antihistamines internally and hydrocortisone externally, but I can't get rid of it totally. The doctor gave me a 10 day steroid treatment that worked, but it came back on the 11th or 12th day. It has gone under my scalp. It itches but does not burn or hurt (which seems to negate shingles). I develop whelps, but probably mostly from extremed scratching when I cannot resist it anymore. I've tried a cream for yeast, but that didn't seem to affect it, but that was external. My general physician seems perplexed. I'm wondering if its possible for a 63 year old male to have some sort of internal yeast infection?
XXXX, < YYYY@YYYY >
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous rash or photosensitive rash

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
According to your complaints it could be an eczematous rash or photosensitive rash.
I would recommend you to apply a potent topical steroid like clobetasol propionate cream on the rash twice daily for 2-3 weeks and continue with antihistaminic like tablet cetrizine 10 mg twice daily.
Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Moreover are you taking any medicines or are you having any ailments?
Also avoid direct sun exposure.
If possible upload the pictures of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad