• question-icon

Are chest pain with left side shoulder pain signs of heart attack?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Heart Attack
Question: I was sleeping on my left side, woke with a shoulder arm and side pain. Could I be having a heart attack? I am 94, in good health, weigh about 100 lbs, always been thin - never had serious health problem, I wear an emergency button

I only have a regular phone!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you need to get ECG as soon as possible

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think we can not ignore any chest pain with left side shoulder pain specially above 50 years. There is always chances of MI.( Heart problem) . So I would suggest you to take a Brufen tablet immediately and go to ER and get ECG. If there is any changes suggestive of heart attack then you might need to start immediate treatment. So you should go to ER immediately.
I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 8 hours later
Thank you for responding; got through the night, no chest pains, slight left shoulder is a bit sore.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still there is no harm in getting ECG

Detailed Answer:
Ok. It is good that you have spent night peacefully. I would suggest you to get ECG to make sure that it is not related to heart. It is very simple test and will prevent any future problem to you. For pain you can take Brufen for pain relief. Also you can apply volini gel local application and hot water fomentation.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement