Are BP of 147/85 and pulse of 125 normal?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My blood pressure has been high for about 6 mos. I am an active but slightly overweight 52 year old male. A typical reading is 147/85. Also my heart rate spikes during the day to 125 or so. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
How much of hydrochlorothiazide are you on!

Detailed Answer:

Your blood pressure is a little above the goal of treatment. I will suggest that we adjust the dosage of your drug to get this below 140/80mmHg. You have already done much in terms of diet and lifetsyle modifications and medications should set in to complement this.

At what times during the day did you get these heart rates of 125? Is this during exercise or when you are doing some work? Is this accompanied with other symptoms like profuse sweating, palpitations, etc? I will like to know more about this because the value is higher than expected.

Let me hear from you...
Will provide more insights thereafter.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
it occurs with very little activity. sometimes when I am driving. it is very uncomfortable. it is not all the time. most of the time it is high 60 to low 70
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
With exercise, means you are not very physically fit!

Detailed Answer:

Because this occurs with exercise, it is expected. But because it rises so high with minimal exercise, it means that you are likely not very physically active. Exercise often so as to be a better fit and the heart rate will not get this high with minimal exercise subsequently.

I wish you well. Await your updates and feel free to follow up as you please.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee