Allergic to food and have ulcerative collitis. Will it be cured by operation?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello,
my brother is a patient of ulcerative collitis and allergic to most of the food items we use in our daily life like dairy items, tomato, onion, wheat. For a long period of time he has been suffering with anus issues like fissure or festula. No medicine has been able to help him so far who is facing a diarrhea like situation every day. Many consultants have suggested an operation to cure his fissure issue, but he is unsure of the results and not in favour of it. Can you suggest a good treatment which will help him get a sure shot cure for both the diseases. He is 26 years of age and an active student of management. Thanks Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.
I would like to know about the following before I can give my opinion.

1. Is he having Crohn's Disease or ulcerative colitis?
2. What tests have been done so far?
3. What medications is he on?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini