Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

After injury have swollen knees, bruises with changing skin color. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10363 Questions
I fell last week to date and just under my knee was swollen pretty bad and now very badly bruised but the bruise has moved from the top of my shin to my lower leg and have a bruise on the inside of my ankle close to the bottom of my foot. Should I be going to see a doctor for an xray or is this normal It is also very warm to the touch i forgot to add that part
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to subside in 2-3 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. After an injury, appearance of pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc are all indicative of hematoma formation either due to a soft tissue injury or due to a hairline fracture. If you are able to put weight on the leg without much pain, then a fracture is not likely. The shifting of the bruise is due to the shifting of the blood due to the effect of gravity. 1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury. 2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot. 3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting. 4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor. Use of crepe bandage can prove beneficial. Occasional hot fomentation is recommended. If you have an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing than only you needs to do X-ray. Else, need not to worry. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor