Owl Image

Addicted to otrivin. How to get rid of this?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi Dr
i have a permanent ALLERGY from otrivin more than 5 years i can not sleep with out otrivin . please Dr Help me
YYYY@YYYY
name : XXXXXXX
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the query

You have not developed allergy secondary to the usage of otrivin but, you have misused otrivin and developed addiction for the same.

At present, you are suffering from a condition called 'Rhinitis Medicamentosa' secondary to otrivin abuse. First of all, you need to stop otrivin and start using saline and steroid nasal spray(containing fluticasone or momentasone) till the effect of the otrivin weans off.

Do not worry! This is a curable problem; you should consult your ENT specialist and tell him about all your problems, he will definitely help you out.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon