Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Accidentally swallowed Buckyball magnets, vomited immediately, no pain. Should I go to the ER now?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2544 Questions
My 14yr old son swalloed Buckyball magnets, (2) They are small and round. He was fooling around and accidently swallowed them. He forced himself to vomit immediately. I did not see the magnets but they could have went further down the toilet then I could have reached. Should i got to the ER right now or wait until the morning and see his regular MD. He is in no pain at all.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 47 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should go to an ER and get X-rays of the chest and abdomen done to locate these magnets.

2. If they do not appear on the X-rays, there is no cause for worry.

3. If they do appear on the X-rays, the management will change depending on whether there are two magnets or only one. CT Scanning may be required if there are two, especially if they are near or together.

4. Buckyball magnets are extremely powerful magnets and can pinch tissue between them and perforate intestinal walls together.

5. A single magnet can be observed as it may not cause any problem alone. Once a foreign body is swallowed past the cricopharynx (entrance of the esophagus / food pipe ) it usually passes through if it goes past the iliocecal junction (appendix area).

6. You may share the results of the investigations here for further treatment options, if required.

I hope I have answered your query. Awaiting your reply. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor