Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

6 years old, have a black mark on lower gum. Reason?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 393 Questions
My grandson is 6 years old. He has a tiny sliver-like shaped black XXXXXXX on his lower gum. He has recently lost his first baby tooth on upper gum. What could cause this tiny black XXXXXXX on his lower gum?
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that the black XXXXXXX is sometimes present since birth (birth mark) - this may be normal. But a direct examination by a doctor/dentist is necessary to confirm its nature. The doctor may order a biopsy if there is any suspicion.

I assume it is not associated with pain, swelling or bleeding; therefore it is not much of a concern. Sometimes, a bruise from biting on hard object can also leave a black XXXXXXX as kids have a tendency to do so; these marks fade away within 7-10 days on its own.

I would appreciate if you can post a picture here of your grandson's lower gum showing the black XXXXXXX

Hope this helps. I will be able to comment further if you can post a picture here using this website's uploader.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor