Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

23 weeks pregnant, during anomaly scan was told to undergo fetal echo test. Whom to consult?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6486 Questions
Hello Doc,

Good morning. i m 23 weeks pregnant. when i did anomaly scan during 21st week radiologist told us to undergo fetal echo when i reach 24th week. i asked my gync to whom to contact to conduct this scan. she told ask with same radiologist. and that radiologist was ready to do fetal echo. i did some surfing on net and understood its better to get it done with pediatric cardiologist. I m confused . kindly guide me.

Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ideally it is done by pedaitric cardiologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Fetal ECHO should be ideally done by pediatric cardiologist as they are more trained in this procedure and have more expertise.
Problem is only availability of pediatric cardiologist in your city as they are few in number.
If you are able to contact them then it is ok otherwise it can also be done by radiologist. Radiologist also have great exposure in this field.

I want to know why it is so necessary? Generally,radiologist can easily detect the four chamber anatomy of heart and normal Doppler flow in heart chamber and vessels doesn't require further investigation. Fetal echo is advised in special circumstances like family history of congenital heart disease, maternal exposure to certain drugs, chromosomal abnormalities ,diseases associated with mother like diabetes mellitus, other fetal anomaly detected in routine antenatal USG.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wish you and your baby all the best.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor