19 years old. What is causing dark circles under eyes?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I've been wondering what exactly is causing dark circles under my eyes. I am currently 19 and seems like I have had dark circles all my life. I'm still not entirely sure whether it is hereditary as I also develop hayfever allergies during Spring. Though it's not that serious, and my body seems to be becoming more immune to the pollen every year. But, I'm not sure if the allergies are causing my dark circles, or any other symptom is. I really hope I can be cured from my sick-looking dark circles as they are very unappealing and make me look sick and tired.
Thank you in advance
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
Dark circles are the bane of all dermatologists'.
They are a particularly difficult condition to address.
In your case, Yes hereditary seems to play a significant role given that it is an early age onset of dark circles.
Correct again, in that in allergy prone individuals, a condition or state of 'atopy' exists & these atopic individuals more often than not manifest with what are known as 'allergic shiners' that basically stand for 'dark circles' under the eyes.
Stressors & lack of sleep play a major role too as does hydration or rather lack of it.
As can be fathomed from some of the reasons cited, good hydration, sleep, addressing stressors & allergies by themselves will go a long way in correcting this issue.
Coming to specific management of these lesions, i would recommend a Neostrata (american company) regime of day/night & roll on creams for the eye regions that is useful or a product called Cernor-XO that can be used similarly as a roll-on stick!
Carboxytherapy too (injection of CO2 gas under the eyelid region into the dermis/subcutis) is a useful too in the right hands.
For all these & more, please do consult a dermatologist/cosmetologist nearest you. On the net, we can at best provide pointers in the right direction but in cases such as yours my dear, this is the best i am afraid we can do!
Do trust this will have guided you in the right direction. I empathise with your situation & wish you good health & a radiant blemish-less countenance in the near future! Take care & God Bless! Please do close this query & rate us as else this site keeps popping up your query as a follow-up! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.