1/2 inch red spot on upper thigh. circular and very

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 5 Apr 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: 1/2 inch red spot on upper thigh. circular and very crusty and flakey. has been there for 3 weeks and has not changed, except for dry skin flaking off.

What could this be and can I put a moisterizing cream on it.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to ask a doctor service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Perhaps it is a fungal infection. They are usually dry scaly, itchy patches. I suggest you to use an otc topical antifungal e.g clotrimazole 1% cream, twice daily for 2-4 weeks. You may also take an oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10mg tablet once a day for symptomatic relief from itching.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I should have mentioned that this crusty spot does not itch at all. Any suggestions? Thank you, again.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Itching is a subjective symptom. So it is not an absolute criteria for a fungal infection. I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area in "reports section" so that I am able to have a look and guide you accordingly. take care. Let me know if you need any more assistance.