Will my daughter be asthmatic?

Both my mother and mother-in-law are asthmatic and what are the chances that my daughter will be asthmatic?
Asked On : Fri, 16 Oct 2009
if both parents are asthmatic , the chance of child being asthmatic is 50-60%, if one parent is asthmatic the chance is 30%
General & Family Physician Dr. K. P. V. Rao's  Response
Hi Mehmet,
Welcome to HCM.
As there is family history of asthma,there is an equal chance of your child becoming asthmatic in future.However,environmental conditions such as pollution/dust etc. enhance the occurance of the disease.So,if care is taken from the beginning,prevention of asthma is possible.Take care.
There is no 'percent calculation' for asthma as it is a polygenic disease, that is, a disease caused by the involvement of many genes. If it were a simple monogenic disease (1 gene) then we could have calculated your daughter?s chances of having asthma. Unfortunately, asthma is a very diverse disease and it is very difficult to understand the causes as well as the symptoms. It is thought, that the disease is caused by both genetic and environmental factors. A risk of being prone to the disease can be passed on through your parents, but also the air that she is exposed (pollution), the sicknesses she get?s ( airway infections) all play a role in the development of the disease.