Why is urine colour black ?

My 92 year old aunt s urine is black she has just been discharged from hospital but surely this is not right
Asked On : Tue, 23 Aug 2011
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,
Black urine indicates some blood discharge, or sometimes even small black Crystal is just age related. since she was admitted, it is necessary to know for which condition because some drugs even may cause black urine. just wait for few days and it may be solved. otherwise just contact her treating physician. who only may know what medicines she was given.
I hope I answered your query. Wish you good health.
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
welcome to hcm
thanks for the query
it may be urinary tract infection if it is associated with fever
it mat be normal also due to less intake of fluid
you increase your intake of fluid .if after it the colour remains dark then there may be some pathology there like disorder of kidney or liver
urine may turn dark if she had any injury to any of the structures of the urinary tract, including the kidney, bladder, urethras, or ureter
if it continues after 3 to 4 days consult your doctor
take care
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
If urine is really black then a rare condition called Alkaptonria.
But if there is darkening of urine may be due to,
Some medicines give darkening urine,
Eating of red berries,candy.Ingestion of red dye.
In urinary infection,injury to urethra,kidneys.
Cancer of pancreas,liver, bladder all can cause dark urine.
Consult physician and seek advice.
Ok and bye.
Many thanks. Aunt has been readmitted to hospital so we are waiting on results.