Why do I have respiratory issues? Had severe cough, wheezing, crackling. Induced asthma?

Hello, I am a 28y/o/f firefighter/EMT-IV/ paramedic student. I quit smoking around three months ago and seem to get more and more respiratory issues since quitting. What s going on right now is the most serious and scary feeling I have ever had. For the past four days+ I have had a severe cough that is not helped by any medications . Wheezing on expiration, crackles, and SOB accompany the cough. I also feel as though it is only my left lung , as I can actually feel crackling on the left side, and yet, it seems the only position I am able to experience any relief is by laying on my right side. I had a doc at an ER listen to my lungs(while I was working) and he said he was 99% sure I am experiencing cough inducing asthma . I have never had asthma and I have been to an allergy specialist in the past. I am worried it is more serious at this point(due to my delay in seeking MD consult). If you have any suggestions of a diagnosis and or things I can do to get temporary relief until I am able to get to a pulmonologist , it would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to see adoctor tomorrow, as today is Sunday and doctors offices are closed. Thank you for your time.
Asked On : Thu, 20 Sep 2012