Why am I feeling depressed after taking paroxetine tablet ?

im taking paroxatine for 10 days. im soo depressed after taking it now i cant take any more is it okay?
Asked On : Sun, 6 Mar 2011
Hi Kuma,
Welcome to

Its good thing that u want to know about Ur medicine before taking any decision.
There r chances that during initial period of treatment with paroxetine u may will feel more depressed and anxious which will subside later (as it starts its action rapidly by correcting chemical changes in brain in initial period).For its complete action to lower your suffering it will take at least 3-4 week.So if tolerable u can wait for few more days.
But if suffering is more troublesome then pls visit your psychiatrist again before discontinuing it,he will definitely guide u and help u to get relief from it .
If not satisfied with same psychiatrist after this u can consult to another one ,till then pls continue ur medicine.
Psychiatrist Dr. B. P. Sinha's  Response
Welcome to healthcaremagic. You have been prescribed this medicine for Depression, medicine will take few days to two weeks to show its efficacy. So do not stop it, see your treating doctor to monitor the medicine. Doctor may increase or decrease the dose. You are going to be benifited definitely. Thans, hoping for the best.
Psychiatrist Dr. Satyajeet Kumar Singh's  Response
Not OK, If someone prescribed you paroxetine for your depression, you should consult your mental heath professional before quitting abruptly any psychotropic. Moreover any psychotropic need time to bring desired change.

Possible reason for non-response in your case can be
1. Too short time to expect relief from depression
2. Inefficient dosing
3. Wrong Diagnosis
4. Co-morbid conditions not being given enough attention
5. Other reason not apparent from your above short query .

Thank you (Viewer rating for my reply is expected)

ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
u should consult a psychiatrist before leaving this drug. self medication may be harmful.