What is the cause of numbness and tingling in the finger on waking up in a diabetic ?

Been having intermittent numbness/ tingling in right thumb and index when I wake up from sleep for 4 months. Adjusted my head at night lying flat which helped for a while( no pillow). At various times, the numbness/tingling has also been in the right side of the right hand and around the kneecap. This morning, I woke up and couldn t feel my left foot untill I stood up. These things only happen when I m sleeping, when I stand up, it goes away(not circulatory). I am a 40 year diabetic and 51 yrs old. My a1c is always 6.5 or better. Had a slight stroke 4 months ago which affected my speech and a little on my right side, but speech and movement are fine now. Take Hyzaar, aspirin , flomax and zocor (saw doctor 4 days before stroke and blood pressure was 123/83, since stroke, it s high but now manageable. Chloresterol was never over 190 before stroke, and still isn t ( not reason for stroke). Anyway, the doctor just had me take a spinal XRAY after I told him I thought it was the nerves around the neck so I can get referred to a Nuerologist. Does it sound like c6 or c5 nerve to you
Asked On : Mon, 12 Mar 2012