What could be the cause apart from pregnancy for delayed and scanty periods ?

I was 25 days late for my period with neg pregnancy tests . I started bleeding 2 days ago, quite dark red in colour, no clots. It stopped that evening and began again yesterday morning. it stopped again last night and I have had no bleeding since. I have had mild cramps yesterday and right sided flank pain during the night last night but none since. What could be happening? I am a 39 year old mother of 2 with very regular 28 cycles.
Asked On : Thu, 21 Jul 2011