What can be the reason for white blood cells in infant stool ?

My 5.5 month old breastfed infant has had diarrhea for over a month. Other than that, he is fine--happy, not fussy, not dehydrated, and steadily gaining weight. A stool culture was performed, and he had moderate levels of white blood cells . What does this indicate, and do I need to worry about it? (I have since removed milk, soy, eggs and wheat from my diet , and his stool has not gotten better). I am really trying to decide if it is better for him to have my milk (and diarrhea), or go on formula (missing out on the benefits of breastmilk).
Asked On : Fri, 10 Jun 2011