What are the measures to improve hemoglobin count ?

This is for my wife....she is facing problem with less hemoglobin ...What would be the best way to combat with this?
Asked On : Tue, 7 Feb 2012

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.
First of all cause should be found and it should be treated. Many medical conditions cause anemia if she is on any medication that might be responsible.
Loss of blood through heavy menstrual bleeding or, wounds can cause anemia. Iron deficiency anemia can also occur when there are stomach ulcers or other sources of slow, chronic bleeding.
If anemia is mild and associated with no symptoms or minimal symptoms, a thorough investigation will be done in the outpatient setting. If any cause is found, then appropriate treatment will be started. if anemia is mild and is found to be related to low iron levels, then iron supplements.
Iron and folic acid tablets are available that can be prescribed.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further queries.

General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.This is called as ANEMIA and has many causes and can be distinguished by examination and inspection of blood film.The first step is to know the MCV (mean cell volume).There are LOW MCV problems like iron deficiency anemia and thalassemia.NORMAL MCV problems like acute blood loss,renal failure etc.HIGH MCV problems like B12 or FOLATE deficiency anemia,alcoholism,marrow infiltration etc.Treatment depends upon the cause of anemia so you must consult a doctor and get the required investigations and treatment from him.Thanks and good luck.