Weight gain inspite of exercising, body aches. History of total thyroidectomy. What needs to be done?

I had cancer 2 years ago and had a total thyroidectomy . I take 100 mcg levothyroxine daily. It has been reduced over the past 2 years due to heart palpatations. I have 2 problems that are probably related to each other. I keep gaining weight (gained 20 lbs since surgery) even thought I walk for exercise and eat properly. My doctor advised me to do aeorbics, but honestly I am 58 years old and my entire body just aches. It seems to be muscles and bone related. I just feel bad every day of my life and I cannot stand it. I am miserable. I also cannot sleep at night (still). My doctor prescribed a couple of different meds for that (and said would help the palpations), but each one caused me to have vivid nightmares . I have my annual appointment with my Endo next month. Is there anything I need to ask him, tell him, etc. so I can get some help from this pain and miserable feeling each day. If it was not for my job forcing me to get out of the house, I would probably stay in house (and of course feel worse). Thanks for any help.
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013