Weakness and pain of muscles, eyes radiate heat, have short term memory loss. Is it a mental issue?

Female, age 37. No major illnesses prior to sudden onset of these symptoms. No history of substance abuse or mental problems. First I will describe current symptoms. Second in give a symptom history. Currently, I experience the following symptoms (listed in order of severity). Constant disabling level of weakness/pain of the muscles around eyes. Muscle weakness of seemingly all voluntary muscles. Eyes feel as though they radiate heat. Delayed thought processes. Short term memory loss , awkward body movements, monotone low voice, personality has changed, chronic UTI, labored chewing & swallowing . Inability to articulate words. fluttering in and on left ear, recent unexplained bleeding from left ear, physical exertion can create a situation 24 hours after the event in which I fall asleep and will remain in bed for up to two weeks - during which time I need to be prompted to eat, drink, bathe. After recovering, I have little memory of the event. It s almost a coma-like state. House could burn down and I would go down with it, anxiety. The first symptoms I had lasted 3 weeks but they were bad. Viral encephalitis was suspected. I couldn t think, had parinoia that I d been poisoned, periodic bouts of uncontrollable flailing of arms and legs, I was angry, I was mean, I talked and walked like I was very drunk, sleep was more like a coma and lasted most of the day. Minor visual hallucinations. I was given prednisone which almost immediately cleared my brain, allowing me to think after three weeks of confusion. I tested positive for a reactivation of EBV shortly before I started experiencing symptoms. I believe it may have caused an ear infection 8 months earlier? I am told I have a weak immune system and low iron levels. I blacked out on a staircase 18 months ago (I think it was a seizure) - causing me to fall down about 20 stairs backwards. into a metal door. I was awake briefly after hitting my head - but went right back to sleep for 18 hours straight. I had neck and head pain for a long time afterwards. I have had two electromyographies 2 years ago that came back normal. I had a normal EEG 2 years ago. I had a normal spinal tap 2.5 years ago. I had normal results from a 24 hour sleep study. My blood tests for myasthenia gravis and neurological presentation of celiac disease were negative. I am prescribed klonapin for anxiety but I am almost certain that it helps lessen the severity of most of my neurological issues as well, I figured that out after missing my dose a few times. I tried gabapenten and lyrica for my eye pain and it helped a bit but only for 2 weeks... Then it becomes pretty uneffective. The side effects are bad and just not worth it. The best solution I have for my eye pain is ice packs and taping them open with tegaderm so that the muscles don t work so hard and start hurting so bad. I tape them open almost every day - I would say for at least 80% of the time I am awake. I put ice on them frequently. I had extreme difficulty working for 6 months prior to resigning from my job in Feb 2011. I have not been well enough to work since. I have not been to a neurologist in over a year due to my inability to earn money or pay insurance. I stay home most of the time - I have days that I feel well enough to want to leave the house 5 days per month at best. I have heightened sensitivity to sound, light & heat that fluctuates in conjunction to the level of weakness I have at the time. I have not had trouble with slurred speech or drunken walking for about 16 months. It turned into low, robotic speech and slow, rigid walking instead. I have suffered exreme weight loss in the past because I was unable to swallow/chew... My waist size was 0 just 15 months ago. Now I am back to a size 12 which is about normal for me. I hope that s enough information. I would like some opinions on what could be wrong, what I should attempt to seek testing for once I find a way to pay. I would also like any advice on any possible dietary changes or home-remedies that I might find helpful. Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 17 Aug 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  83 Awaiting Answer