Terrible reoccurring sore throat, fatigue and chills. Tongue swollen with ear ache. Is it a viral infection?

I have a terrible recurring sore throat accompanied with fatigue and chills. I ve been tested for mono, strep , and yeast . I have none of these. Going on 3 weeks. Also at times I get an earache and tongue feels swollen. I also want to add that I do not gargle Listerine , I did right before this all started. Haven t used it since. This is driving me crazy. I don t think my doctor took me seriously. He told me it is a viral infection. Is he right?! I don t know if I should go back.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013