Taking birth control. Have abnormal periods. Family history of cervical cancer. Why is this happening?

I m 20 years old and I m on birth control . My periods were regular except for the past few months my period has been lasting around 3 weeks plus, changing colors from bright red to dark brown from light to heavy, it changes everyday. Cervical cancer runs in my family as well thats why I m worried. Do u have any idea on why this could be happening? Its become very frustrating since I have no idea of what s wrong.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013