Taking Xanax for anxiety and panic attack, asked to discontinue medication and visit behavioral health specialist

I have been taking Xanax regularly for almost 2 years now for anxiety and panic attacks. The dose is 1mg, and up to 3 times a day as needed. I am seeing a local regular family doctor. The doctor wants to discontinue my medication and pass me onto a behavioral health specialist who can better continue my treatment . In the meantime my doctor gave me one final script of Xanax (60 pills , 20 days worth) and told me to ween myself off with this last prescription. I know this is not normal practice for this medication and should be handled better. I fear I will run out before I am seen by my new doctor. I haven t even received a call or set up an appointment yet. What should I do?
Asked On : Thu, 5 Apr 2012