Swollen vein in the palm, painful, high BP. What is going on?

I have a swollen vein in the palm of my right hand , just below the center of the palm, a little to the right. It s about as big around as pencil eraser. It is painful to the touch. I ve had this a couple of times before and it seems to go away on its own. I had a high blood pressure scare in the fall that put me in the hospital overnight. Sense then I have been on blood pressure medication , have rejoined Weight Watchers (down 33 lbs January 2012, gained 12 back during the holidays, but back on track) and my blood pressure has been great.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013