Swollen upper lip, might be fever blister or cold sore. Prescribed ointment for nasal abscess. Can I use it?

I was prescribed muirpirocin ointment for a nasal abcess which healed fine months ago ... the Dr supected it could be mrsa but unsure. I awoke this morning with a swollen upper lip which feels like the beginning what i imagine a fever blister or cold sore feels like. I do not ever remember having a fever blister or similar around my mouth. Is there any reason i should not apply some of that ointment to my lip?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013