Swelling, painful, bluish left hand after a fall. X-ray done. Treatment?

My mother had a fall last week turned her wheel chair over and had know on her head. Last night watching TV the left hand started swelling and turned blue and painful. She is recoverning from a severe patella fracture that required 9 pins and she has been non wieght bearing since November. Just been cleared to bear weight. Sent her to the ER last night as I suspect a blood clott. ER doc Xrayed as said it was probably a deep tissue injury from th fall last week. I am a registered nurse and have several issues with this statement, Number 1 the hand does not have deep tissue. Number 2 this is the left hand and a clot here could be pulmonary . The ER doc said that if it was a clot it would not hurt her in the hand. I feel she needs further evaluations. Any opinion?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012