Swelling and bruising in the ankle after a fall. No broken bone in the x-ray. Chronic pain persisting

I am a twenty something male who is pretty active. about 2 years ago I was running, rolled my right ankle over, and heard a pop sound. I went to the ER because of the swelling and bruising and had a X-Ray done which confirmed there was no break. I am still having chronic pain moving my ankle right to left with the majority of the pain stemming from my upper ankle below my shin. Should I have an MRI? Would it show anything since it has almost been 2 years? Would you recommend surgery since this has become a chronic condition?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013