Suffering from severe insomnia. Why do I directly move to REM stage? Next?

lately I ve been suffering from severe Insomnia, the last 3 nights I aint got to sleep until least 6-7am then sleep 3 hours, wake up and repeat until midday, when I do sleep I always seem to go right in to REM sleep and have vivid dreams. I m really scared I have Fatal Familial Insomnia , I know it s probably the rarest disease in the world affecting something like 40 families world wide, but I also hear there is a sporadic form that can happen to anyone at any time. Now I should add I m only 21 and was on Zopiclone for 2 months to help me sleep, Zopiclone was great at first but in the end I was taking way too many a night to sleep over 8 hours, was given 28 tablets that I used up in under 1 week (bad I know) so now the last few days it s been a nightmare to sleep. Question is, is it possible I m having withdrawal even tho I was only on them for a few weeks? I feel tired all day, which is new to me used to sleeping 12 hours+ with never waking up, it seems ever since I started Zopiclone, my sleep has been messed up. Also why do I enter REM sleep so quick? that is what is scaring me, as in REM sleep the brain doesn t rest, so I ve convinced myself I have this terrible Fatal Insomnia :(
Asked On : Sat, 25 Aug 2012