Suffered from Trigemial Neuralgia. Had gamma knife radiation surgery. Go for micro vascular decompression surgery?

My husband has suffered from Trigemial Neuralgia for more than 35 years. He is 81 years old and in excellent general health. During these many years he has gone thru major periods of pain. Originally on Rt side and had 2 radio frequency procedures. He took Tegretol for many years but has been pain free after the. 2nd procedure. He has major numbness that has worn off in the last few years. About 15 years ago he was lucky enough to get it on his left side. He was given Trileptal this time but had to get more help. He had Gamma Knife Radiation surgery then 2 radio frequency procedures. The goal was to give him relief without more numbness. He was really numb and cannot afford to have anymore in his eye or he will lose sight in that eye. He has been teaching these many years, retired /2 24 years ago and continues to substiitute teach and he remains active in every way. Going to the gym. regularly, etc. It seems the trileptal is not working now because he is suffering terrible pain, tic after tic of lightening bolts. Hardly permitting him to drink or eat. He wants to have micro vascular decompression surgey but we really want to know where in the. Country the least risky way of doing it exists- the Dr. and the Hospital. We live in Long Island, N Y I know there is an endoscopic way, that it can be done without using retractors, and probably other ways. How can I find out all the choices and make an intelligent decision ? I have been doing research online but unable to get this most important info. My husband needs to have the surgery ASAP . Help]. We need guidance and info.
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013