Suffer from lower back pain radiating to leg. Numbness and pressure in the buttocks and thigh. Any help?

I have been suffering with lower back pain for 3 years after doing some DIY. 5 months ago this developed into severe sciatica - with pain running down the back of my left leg from my bum to my ankle. I have had around 8 Physio appointments which has caused the pain to regress up my leg. About 2 months ago i was left with pain in my left bum cheek and numbness from my left bum cheek to midway down my thigh. A friend recommended trying a chiropractor so 2 weeks ago I went for an assessment and had 1 treatment. The day after treatment I started to have numbness right across across my bum (on both sides) and in my groin area which when standing /walking turns into a severe feeling of pressure right across this area. Due to the increased numbness and added feeling of pressure and also a strange feeling when I crouch down that the bone in both butt cheeks is going to pop through the skin! The chiropractor refused to do a second treatment and instead has written a letter I need to collect tomorrow which he says I need to take to my GP which is requesting I am referred for an MRI. I am worried about my symptoms and since it is painful to stand and walk it is having a dramatic affect on my life. Please can you tell me what you think might be wrong with me and if there is anything I can do to help relieve the symptoms as I am sick with worry and don't hold out much hope with my GP referring me as for the last 3 years I've been asking for this and been refused - they have only prescribed painkillers.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013