Suffer from asthma. Using inhaler. Need to lead an active lifestyle. Options?

I have asthma and I am wanting to work out to lose weight, but it feels like i cant get enough air. My asthma comes in intervals so it is not always a huge problem. But i have really bad alergies and everytime they start acting up (which is once or twice a year) so does my asthma and it puts me out of doing any kind of activity (including something as simple as stairs) for at least 3 months without feeling like i cant breathe. I take breathing treatments and and inhaler . Is there something else i can do to help me have a more active lifestyle with asthma?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013