Spots on middle back. What are they? Reddish, brown. Are they bruises?

My husband has a section on his middle back, that is on the left side of his spine . It s about 3.5 inches from Left to right and a little less than an inch wide from top to bottom.There are 5 spots on the top row and 4 spots on the bottom row - about the size of a pea and they are round - they are all about half an inch apart. It s very strange. They are reddish brown and ALMOST look like bruises. He had a few about a month ago and they seemed to fade, but now they are back and it s more noticable. They are flush with his skin. They do not itch or hurt and he didn t even know they were there. I was the one that noticed them. He has an area a few inches up from this ON his spine that doesn t have feeling (a result from army training) - what could the spots be?
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012